Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default WAY, WAY off the topic question regarding turntables.....

In article , "MOSFET" wrote:
I know, this is totally the wrong forum, but as I know so many of you and
how helpful most all of you are, I thought, "What the heck?" before I post
the same question on home audio and audiophile sites, give my old stomping
grounds a try. So here goes....

I have an old Technics SL-B2 turntable that is in perfect shape and works
perfectly as well. I have had it for many, many years. However, it has
been relagated to a box that is kept in my attic or garage for the last 25
years. I still have my record collection going back to 1978 when I
purchased my first LP, and I accumulated records at a pretty good clip
(perhaps 2 a week) until, I would say, 1988, when EVERYTHING was switched to
CD's. Even the EP's that were the last hold-out of recordings not found on
CD, but only on vinyl, really disappeared by 1992. By '91-'93, except for
an extremelly small niche market of audiophiles (who to THIS DAY will claim
that LP's still sound better than CD's given very HIGH quality recordings,
EXPERT mastering techniques, and EXCEPTIONAL equipment used in playback).
Besides Audiophiles, DJ's continue to this day to use vinyl in clubs as
mxing one song to the next is MUCH easier than with CD's (though advances in
DJ oriented CD mixing gear with controls like BPM synchrnozation has leveled
the playing field). However, besides those two groups, NOBODY BUYS vinyl
anymore.

Anyway, I have about 400-500 LP's I was flipping through the other day and
felt nostalgic and wanted to hear some of this old stuff. However, my
turntable is just missing a headshell and cartride (stylus too, of course).
I gave it to someone (the headshell and cartride) about 10 years ago as I
thought I would NEVER want to use the turntable again, I nearly threw it out
(well, I was going to give it to the Salvation Army, same diff.)!!!!!

I have already ordered the headshell and it should be here tommorrow or the
next day.

My question is about what would give me the best bang for my buck in terms
of cartridges (with stylus, of course). I definately want to buy new as you
NEVER know how many hours a used needle may have seen. I am NOT an
audiophile NUT when it comes to my home gear (OK, a little bit) and my

I would imagine you could tell with a microscope. Not a bad
idea looking at anything you buy, new or used. My first thought
for a new one is Audio Technica. Seems my last and best cartridge
was of that company. It was also a moving coil, but
a high output one.

Lets get back in time. My first turntable, aside from that
kiddie box, was a Gerrard AT-60. I still remember the model!
Cartridge was I think an Empire 880P, billed as the worlds
finest cartridge. Was was too compliant for the Gerrard.
Next was an AR turntable with a Pickering cartridge.
I never really like the Pikering but I went through a couple models.
Oh that one with the brush! Then was a ADC or BSR direct
drive and a Shure Type III. Of the turntable made out
of composite was horrible as it picked up LF room sounds and
FEEDBACK !! Then off to a Sony which was a lot better, but
I didn't have luck much luck with direct drives and feedback.
I then aquired a Dual model with that Audio Technica cartridge.
I bought it used from a doctor. I then bought a used Thorens
and used the Shure on it. Later someone gave me an SME
arm but never installed it. All I have left is
the Dual and AT cartridge installed, with the bad speed control belt.
Got the old AR along with a Pioneer of my brothers. I'm never going to
fool with the AR and the probably not the Pioneer. I want
to see if I can work the Dual, maybe sometime. I have records,
not too many.

I was always too cheap to buy many records or CD's.
Last record I bought was Appetite for Destruction. One
of the first records I bought, other than those kidde records,
was from Blue Cheer. I also used to get those sound effect
records and like to make like a train going through
the basement.

My favorite bands who also influenced me the most early on,
Led Zepplin, Santana, Iron Butterfly,Neil Young, Doors, Jimi H, Chamber Brothers,
Sly Stone, and I forget the rest of my personal top 10.
I was always more into music than songs.

Wow I just listened to Love peace & Happiness and Time has come
today on You Tube.

One song that I have turn turn up to the max and start to dance.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dslP59PrSVY

I always liked influencing others with my music by playing it loud.
Of course, everybody likes my music !! Seems like I was
always the one with the sound system for parties, etc.

I always like making speakers, even though early on I didn't
know much. My first home speakers I made out of 12 inch Utah
drivers and gold colored horns bought at Olsen's.
In the military I used my Allied receiver driving home made
garbage can speakers in back of the clothing cabinets,
in the barracks. Basically a stealth system. They cranked
pretty good.

Car audio, my HU broke in the truck about 3 years ago and I
have nothing right now. I had to fix it once before after buying
a $55 maintenence manual for the $450 Pioneer. I need
to remove that system. Maybe I'll try to fix it one day.
I got a stock Cavalier system.

I'm starting to feel old. I turned 60.

greg