John Richards

Default Biwiring ?

"Uptown Audio" wrote in message
Great response and absolutely true in most respects. It is still your
opinion that differs from the authors here as neither of you have
presented evidence to support your assertions. I do mean conclusive
evidence as we have all heard enough evidence to gag a maggot. One
thing that I think everyone agrres on is that it does lower the
resistance figures by nearly half.

I may be wrong, but I don't think it would lower the impedance seen by the
amplifier since at higher frequencies, the amplifier is looking only at the
single cable connected to the tweeter/midrange and at lower frequencies only
at the single cable connected to the woofer.

That may or may not be significant
depending upon the associated equipment and of course the hearing
ability of the listener. In general, I don't recommend its use either.
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"Gene Poon" wrote in message
William Eckle wrote:

The following is a statement by Robert Harley in the current issue
of
"The Perfect Vision".
Quote:

Connecting your speakers with two runs of loudspeaker cable
(if your speakers have two sets of input terminals) provides a
small but significant improvement in sound quality.
One pair of the speaker's input terminals is connected to the
woofer,and the other pair to the midrange and tweeter (or just the
tweeter in a two-way speaker). In a bi-wired system, the power
amplifier "sees" a higher impedance on the tweeter cable at low
frequencies and a lower impedance at high frequencies. The opposite
is
true on the woofer half of the bi-wired pair. This causes the
signal
to be split up, with high frequencies traveling mostly in the cable
driving the tweeter circuit, and low frequencies conduced by the
pair
connected to the loudspeaker's woofer circuit. This frequency
splitting reduces magnetic interaction in the cable, resulting in
better sound.
If you have the ability to bi-wire, it's worth the cost of an
extra
run of speaker cable. You can buy bi-wired cables with a single
pair
of terminations on the amplifier end and dual termination pairs on
the
speaker end. Be sure to remove the "jumpers" that connect the
pairs of speaker input terminal.
Unquote.
Is this true about the amp seeing the differences in impedance ?
And is it audible ?

================================

To me the key paragraph, where all the important information in this
post is found, is:

One pair of the speaker's input terminals is connected to the
woofer,and the other pair to the midrange and tweeter (or just the
tweeter in a two-way speaker). In a bi-wired system, the power
amplifier "sees" a higher impedance on the tweeter cable at low
frequencies and a lower impedance at high frequencies. The
opposite is
true on the woofer half of the bi-wired pair. This causes the
signal
to be split up, with high frequencies traveling mostly in the
cable
driving the tweeter circuit, and low frequencies conduced by the
pair
connected to the loudspeaker's woofer circuit. This frequency
splitting reduces magnetic interaction in the cable, resulting in
better sound.

Up to the last sentence, it's all true, assuming a passive crossover
in the loudspeaker that actually behaves as described (not all of
them do). That last sentence is the one where unproven assumptions
are used by Mr. Harley to come to a conclusion. Those assumptions
include the actual existence of magnetic interaction, its amount,
and the true, audible effect of such "interaction."

Acceptance of those assumptions results in Mr. Harley's
recommendation, where he makes a value judgment that rightfully
belongs to the buyer: "If you have the ability to bi-wire, it's
worth the cost of an extra run of speaker cable." Given the price
of speaker cable that Harley's magazine would recommend, I'd find
the money better spent on more software...that is, more music to
listen to; at the price of that wire, a LOT more music. But that's
MY value judgment.

-GP