Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default .acc?

On 15/05/2017 09:09, Trevor wrote:
On 14/05/2017 11:05 PM, John Williamson wrote:
LAME has been doing a very good job of producing MP3 compatible files
for a long time now, and is available for all platforms except, maybe,
Apple.

What will mainly be affected are small hand held recorders, if the
makers are licencing the mp3 production software and hardware from
Technicolor. Companies like Zoom will either have to find another way to
encde the files or start using other formats, which opens a wjole can of
worms for playback, as most players are firmware enabled for .mp3 or
.wav only.

What have I missed? Why should Zoom need to stop providing MP3 recording
and playback? Not that I have EVER used my Zoom to record in MP3 anyway.
(can easily convert later if needed, and I don't need to record days at
a time onto one card.)
It does make a nice MP3 player though. Rather have one than any iPod.

Technicolor and Fraunhofer have announced they will no longer be issuing
licences to use their patented software and hardware to create mp3
files, and will be withdrawing support for it. As Zoom and other makers
need licences to legally give their products mp3 capability, they will
no longer be able to make new designs that encode audio as mp3. Current
designs are licenced, and production can be continued under the terms of
that licence, but new stuff isn't and won't be able to be.

Alternative methods of producing files compatible with mp3 players are
not affected, so we may see LAME or other encoders embedded in
standalone recorders, and the firmware modified to use a Linux kernel.
The problem for the makers is that they are not permitted to call the
compatible files "mp3 format" or use the trademarked logo.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.