Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default .acc?

On 5/14/2017 4:23 AM, gray_wolf wrote:
I'll just wait and see I suppose. At my age I probably couldn't hear the
difference :-)
I've been seeing more flac in the past few years. Never see ape or ogg
anymore

The thing about MP3 is that, for better or worse (which is a function of
the person creating the file), it's a well established standard for
audio files. Everybody has something that can play it.

The only time I ever used OGG for my own work was when I was trying out
a recording app that didn't offer MP3 conversion because the maker
didn't want to pay for the license. I didn't like that app very much so
I didn't bother with it, though I notice that a recent release (after
the MP3 patent expired) now includes an MP3 codec.

I remember when Real Audio was the standard and I had to get software to
play MP3 files. It wasn't long after that when there was a lot of
software that would play most audio formats, but that Windows Media
could only be played with the Windows Media Player.

So many standards, so little time.