Sander deWaal

"Arny Krueger" said:

Indeed, but anything below 80 dB S/N is of academic interest IMO.

Since that's just you're opinion, there's no possible further discussion.

Opinions can be changed, it has happened in my case.
I've read articles about micro-level details that are well below -80
dB that were regarded important by some reviewers.

A KT88 push pull in triode will deliver more than 5 watts.

So will a cheap IC using a scrap power supply from a laptop.

Non-sequitor noted.

Is't the discussion about toobs as opposed to SS?

The discussion was about Devil's KT88 amps delivering noticeable noise
and distortion or not.

I'm recording one, I'll measure the SPL generated by a solo violin
or flute. I bet they can top 90 dB @ 3 feet.

Absolutely.
And your listening room is also the size of the hall you're recording,
right?

SPLs are SPLs regardless of the size of the room.

Depends on where the listening position is.
When you're listening to speakers at 1 metre (3 ft), you'll need less
electrical input than when listening at 5 metres (15 feet) for the
same SPL .
I see the mistake now. Electrical input.
Yup, sorry.

Apoparently, you need higher SPLs in your situation.

Part of the live listening experience is the SPLs.

Unfortunately, I have neighbors.
Anything over 90 dB is a no-no, at least in the evening when most
listening takes place here.

No problem, when I'm your age, I'll probably have the same need.

False claim that preference for live music at live levels is due to the
aging process noted.

I should have added the ";-)" thingy.

At rock concerts, I use ear plugs.
Also when playing with my band buddies (I'm mostly situated next to
the drummer).
So far, I didn't need them when attending classical concerts.

--
Sander deWaal
"SOA of a KT88? Sufficient."