Arny Krueger

"The Devil" wrote in message
news73bk05aqoqfpb79u5f4enqsmf0f43g2cm@rdmzrnewst xt.nz
On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 20:25:00 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

First tell me why unmasked noise from the front (tubes, vinyl) is
somehow better.

Because it's not noticeable at the listening position.

Sorry to hear about your hearing disability. Sander.

My valve power amps have inaudible hiss and hum even if you put your
head right next to a 989.

Devil, next time try that with a power amp with more than 5 wpc, and oh by
the way turn it on BEFORE not after the listening test. Since you admit to
using "snake oil capacitors" it is therefore a proven fact that you also use
snake oil electrical power.

In fact, the first time I turned them on I
thought something was the matter with them--the Rotel had a faint but
audible hiss when you put your head right up against the speaker, and
that what I expect from the valves, except they were *dead* silent.

There's an approximate 16 dB difference between 200 wpc (Rotel 1080 - last
SS power amp you mentioned owning here) and 5 wpc. If both amps had the the
same dynamic range, the 5 watt amp would still be 16 dB quieter. The same
argument applies should you have a tubed amp with more power than 5 wpc.