Howard Ferstler

Sander deWaal wrote:

Howard Ferstler said:

It may be a byproduct of your particular processor and not
the DPL II technology itself. If a recording does have a lot
of decorrelated hiss in the background (older analog
releases might exhibit this) the processor would extract
that part of the signal and send it to the surround
channels. Because the noise would no longer be coming from
up front, where much of it would be psychoacoustically
masked by the source material, it might be more apparent.

Tell me again why I should move from 2 channels to multichannel when
all I'm doing is playing 2-channel material.

Thank you.

Because a good surround DSP device can generate new surround
and center-channel signals that make the result more
"realistic" sounding than what you can get with only two
channels.

Hell, recording engineers fool around aplenty to make those
two-channel originals sound as spacious as possible, but
they are limited by the technology of two channels. With a
good home-based processor an individual can simulate a large
hall effect that simply cannot be generated with only two
channels.

Howard Ferstler