sanitarium

Default your Car Amplifier advice, please!

Im gonna recommend older hifonics VIII amps. I love my
odin/vulcan/jupiter setup for my highs. IMHO they seem to clip less
harshly when pushed to their limits. IMHO this is important with the
image dynamics horn conpression drivers I am running for front
soundstage, they can get harsh around 3200 Hz if the amplified signal is
not "clean".

I am one of those who cant hear an audible difference between amp
circuits when driven within their linear range. IMHO my profile CA 1200
sounds just as good as my hifonics amps when driven within its linear
range. So I think you should try and listen to as many amps as
possible, you may be pleasantly surprised. My profile is supposed to be
a Korean turd but IMHO it sounds good and has been very reliable the
past 2 years running @ 2 ohms.

Garrett

Brian wrote:

Please offer your advice on what amp to get. I've wasted a lot of
time/money and its time to seek some expert advice before going any
further!

I've managed to cram a Dynaudio System 360 into the front doors and
kick-panels of a 2003 Passat. (3-way system with 8" midbass, 3"
softdome midrange, and 1" softdome tweeter.) In the rear doors is a
Dynaudio System 240 (2-way system with 6-1/2" midbass and 1" softdome
tweeter.) All speakers are standard 4ohm.

I'd like to power these full range (no subs) using the Dynaudio
passive crossover boxes.

The amp characteristic I'm trying to achieve would be similar to an
Aragon 8008 (home audio amp). I've not been able to find a car audio
amp that sounds like it. Its a very neutral sound. Doesn't add
anything thats not already there, but just faithfully provides
everything thats in the recording.

Here's the amps I've tried so far:

PPI PCX-4125 (125W x4ch) -- I love the rich midrange and midbass,
but the highs are a little rough and there is absolutely no extended
highs ("air") at all.

Zapco C2K-6.0X (150W x2ch -- used to power all 4 speakers as a 2ohm
stereo load) -- This amp is incredibly clean-sounding. The extended
highs are immaculate. But it sounds thin in the midrange, as if
something is missing. The meat and potatoes just not there.

Butler Tube Driver Blue TDB-475 (75W x4ch) -- From what I've read, I
expected this amp to be the solution, but it sounds weak in the bass
and mid-bass and is just not neutral enough. It has an interesting
sound, but is somehow "fake", as if the sound is going through some
kind of sound processer to give it some sort of "effect". (I guess
thats what the tubes are adding to the sound?) The music just didn't
sound "real" to me.

I actually hooked up my Aragon 8008 home amp to run these Dynaudio
speakers, and it sounded perfect, so its not just a case of me
searching for something thats impossible. Is there a car amp that can
do what the Aragon can do? (If it was possible to convert the Aragon
to run on 12VDC, I would!)

Do you have any opinions on an amp that is very neutral, but also has
some "meat and potatoes" in the midrange and midbass? (that has the
rich PPI mid-bass/mid-range, but also with the Zapco's pristine
extended-highs.)

(4 channel is preferred, but not mandatory)

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated !! Thank you.