Posted to rec.audio.pro
Matt Faunce Matt Faunce is offline

Default Multiple spaces in recordings

Matt Faunce wrote:
nickbatz wrote:
On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 8:54:21 AM UTC-7, Ty Ford wrote:
If it sounds OK to you, it might not sound OK to others.

I do find that double checking with headphones is a very good way to get
things evened out when using reverbs.

I think you guys are missing what I'm asking.

Using multiple reverbs or spaces is standard practice on every pop
recording since the stone ages, and on many acoustic recordings too. How
often is the lead vocal run through the same reverb as the drum
overheads, for example? For that matter, how often is the lead vocal in
the same room as the drums? Sometimes, but iso booths are normal.

This isn't a trivial question, it's one that I've been contemplating for a long time!

Okay, you can argue that I'm a simp, but there's some psychoacoustic
stuff going on in our brains that I don't understand.

I think your question is if there's a different optimal-amount of reverb
for the pure sonority of each instrument while in the mix, which is good
for the overall sonority of the recording, and if there is, then if there's
an acceptable range of give and take between this pure sonority and
sense-of-space.

Let me rephrase that.

I think the assumption of engineers who use different reverb levels is that
there's a different optimal-amount of reverb for the pure sonority of each
instrument while in the mix, which is good for the overall sonority of the
recording.

My question is, if that's true, is there's an acceptable range of give and
take between this pure sonority and sense-of-space, and if so, is there a
rule that regulates it?

--
Matt