Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Value of KLH speakers?

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com
On 8/29/2010 5:27 AM Arny Krueger spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in
message
.com
It seems to me (again, my untutored intuition) that
while low frequencies would project fine with a woofer
placed close to the floor, anything higher--say, 400 Hz
up--would suffer from such placement.

Not suffer, be changed.

So it's possible that mid to high frequencies might be
enhanced by floor placement? Bass I can see.

It's all about balance. Too much enhancement of either bass or treble is a
bad thing.

Speakers that were designed by competent engineers usually sound best when
they are installed and used as intended.

Of course, much depends on many factors: the floor
covering, room geometry, etc., etc. Carpeted floors
can't be good for *any* speakers.

Simply not true.

Really? Carpet doesn't "eat up" high frequencies?

Again, its about balance. Many speakers are designed with the presumption
that there will be a carpet and it will diminish the high frequencies to a
certain extent. If they are used with carpeting then they sound more
balanced than they will if they are used with bare floors.

Although I suppose this could be corrected by simply
changing the tweeter level, assuming the speaker system
has such an adjustment.

Ever hear of electronic equalizers? You can make some headway along the
lines of restoring balance with them. The alternative is to use speakers as
they were designed to be used.