Tommi

Default Is all audio literature shallow? Where is the IN-DEPTH info?

"Ignace Dhont" wrote in message
om...
I am just amazed that there doesn't seem to be ANY book with ANY
in-depth info on things like mixing techniques. At my local bookstore
the audio books all hold the same basic info like "use a pop shield
when recording vocals (..)".

There are, I think you're just over-reacting and denying the fact that you
cannot learn to mix by reading those books alone.

There are several technical audio books like the "Handbook of Sound
Engineers" (Ballou) that are good but I'm not very interested in the
technical side of the story.

So you're not interested in "the technical side", does this mean something
like that you're interested in getting a good sound from your guitar and
love all kinds of effects, but you're not interested in knowing how a
condenser microphone exactly works or how FIR filters are made etc?

If so, you really have to accept that a book can tell you why it's wise to
pan the bass drum center, but it can't tell you why it sounds good when you
put heckloads of reverb into it..

Books are more useful when learning about the technical aspects of audio.
They are a bit less useful if your goal is to become a good mixing engineer
without knowing much about the "boring", technical stuff.

So, please could anyone recommend me some books or internet articles
that holds info that goes deeper than level 1. For example, I'm
already aware that it takes more than a panpot to create a stereo
image, but detailled info on how to go about is nowhere to be found..

I'll bet that every single book you've read about mixing says: "there are no
strict rules to mixing. However here are a couple of helpful pointers.."

And then you'll go "c'mon, I already know that there are no rules, that's
like so..old, man", but it's true!

I'd say get Howard Massey's "behind the glass".