Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Claudio Bonavolta Claudio Bonavolta is offline

Default Newbie - 12AX7

hdjim69 a écrit :
Hi, I'm new to tubes and I have a pair of monoblock power amps each
with a single 12AX7 tube. I want to pick up some spares and I see some
on ebay but they have a WA or WB extension, eg 12AX7 WB and they also
specify preamp. Are these different tubes than a 12AX7 for a power
amp?

Thanks

As others already told you, these tubes are used either in preamps or
input stages of power amps.
They should normally all be compatible but there may be exceptions
depending how the tubes are used.
As another poster told you, you can easily hear differences between
tubes, so try as many as you can.

If you need an introduction to audio tubes, there's a beginners section
on this page:
http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/audio/audioel.htm
Together with a bunch of schematics and other infos on the subject.

Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch