Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

Default Mic & Preamp Suggestions?

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 07:11:51 -0500, Don Pearce wrote
(in article ):

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 09:43:32 GMT, (Don Pearce)
wrote:

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 19:41:50 -0800, Tobiah wrote:

Try this - I've extracted the same part from your two files, joined
them end-to-end and equalised the levels.

Cool, but:

1) You are comparing two different segments of the original
test. Both contain counting from one to 10, but they are
images of different events. Equalizing the levels may
have been fair, but certainly not equalizing levels of
different parts of the original test.

2) You don't mention which side is the Rode. I'm guessing
that it's the latter, given the name of the sound file.

3) I wish you had not added your own EQ. It doesn't seem
fair somehow, as you may have masked or accentuated some
of the characteristics of either mic. I realize that
your eq was extremely tame, but we are trying to be
scientific about this.

Thanks for doing the work though, I find all this very interesting.

Good catch. OK, I've fixed all that - the parts are the same and no
eq. All I have done now is fine tweaked the level of the second (Rode)
part to make it exactly the same as the Neumann. See what you think.

OK, I now have two files to listen to. The first is what should have
been the comparison - extracts from Ty's two files, simply joined
together end-to-end and the levels equalised as exactly as I can make
them. The two mics do sound slightly different, although I'm not sure
where my preference would lie

http://81.174.169.10/odds/neumann_rode.wav

Now I have posted a second version of this file, in which I have
listened hard and designed a top end eq curve which I am pretty
convinced has turned the Rode into the Neumann. As far as I am
concerned, the two halves of the file now sound identical. (The
Neumann is unchanged, I've only eq'd the Rode half)

http://81.174.169.10/odds/neumann_rode_eq.wav

Do you agree? If so, I have just won myself a very cheap Neumann from
my Rode.

As before, the Neumann is the first part, and the Rode is the second.

Mic are not just about EQ. I once EQd a RE 20 to sounds like a U 87 (at that
moment with that voice and that read). Obviously the two mics don't have a
lot in common.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU