Posted to rec.audio.pro
John O[_2_] John O[_2_] is offline

Default Recording system for student

"Sean Conolly" wrote in message
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
John O wrote:
My son has been making multitrack recordings, playing all the instruments
himself. He's using the sound card built into an Intel mobo, Audacity,
quadraverb, a pile of cable adapters and an old EV ND-467. I know, you're
all wincing and cringing. Actually, the recording are not too bad for
just
messing around and sharing with his friends.

He's good at this, so I'd like to get him a basic system that will sound
better and be easier for multitrack recording. Budget isn't big, maybe
$300.
There must be something reasonable in that range, right?

Get him a better soundcard, and a cheap entry-level mixing console. And
whatever monitors he has, get better ones as soon as you have more money.

Or at least some decent headphones.

Sean

Lots to chew on here, and great advice! The easy stuff: we have good phones,
music is blues/rock and whatever he makes up. He's primarily a drummer,
agree he needs a better mic or two for that. He can use the quardaverb for
guitar effects, or whatever.

I was thinking Audacity was a kludge for this type of work, but maybe not!
I'll check out Reaper and N-Track anyway. Soundcard is a good idea, and he
needs a basic mixer. Mic, soundcard, software, mixer.

Very good, I have lots to work with. This is his stuff. Is it accessible
without a facebook account? http://www.ilike.com/artist/Eric+Oliphant

-John O