B&D

Default Steely Dan The Absolute Sound

On 7/16/04 6:41 PM, in article , "Michael
McKelvy" wrote:

"B&D" wrote in message
On 7/14/04 6:33 PM, in article
, "Michael
McKelvy" wrote:

Do you know how preposterous that sounds? I have been in and around

this
game since the late sixties, and I've yet to hear ANY well set-up
table/arm/cart - like the Music Hall MMF-2.1 for instance - "blown

away"
by
any similarly priced digital front end.

Then it seems you have a preference for that type of sound. LP compared

CD is objectively inferior in terms of distortion, compression, signal

noise, and all other technical specs related to fidelity.

All other specs? Really? *ALL* of them?

The important ones AFAIK. The fact is still that in terms of objective
performance CD stomps all over LP. It is higher fi.

Where I would agree with you is the POTENTIAL of CD is better than that of
LP's - but the state of the art in mastering tends to make the CD's much
less close to hifi. Definitely less the technology than in practical
reality, though.