Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean Conolly Sean Conolly is offline

Default Deliberately introducing clipping?

"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
k...
geoff wrote:

On 10/03/2014 8:21 a.m., Peter Larsen wrote:
Sean Conolly wrote:

It depends on what you're planning on doing to the music - if it's
going to be limited and compressed in post then there's probably no
harm done by letting it clip a little during tracking. The question
is why would someone want to?

Because it can be the cleanest limiting possible if you keep it
shorter than some 2 milliseconds, depending on context/type of
signal(waveform).

As long as it's nopt clipping to FS on a device that's going to go
make D-As go ape in unpredictable ways and spew out god knows what.

Some opamps do technically fascinating things to the waveform when they
clip, yes. I don't advocate clipping in tracking, but I also do not loose
sleep over it if it happens because I know what Auditions unclipper can
unclip to - at least for me - inaudibility.

All should try to make some deliberately clipped samples, easy when
processing 16 bit digital, align average level and listen to what is
audible. I did that with a listening panel once upon a time, interesting
results. You need to know what your equipment does when it runs out of
bits .... and you most definitely want to know in advance if it does not
clip cleanly.

Agreed - but I recommend looking as well as listening.

Sean