Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Deliberately introducing clipping?

wrote:
I've always been under the impression that avoiding clipping is a basic ten=
et of digital audio. Looking at this mastering tutorial, if I understand wh=
at this guy is saying, he deliberately introduces a limited amount of clipp=
ing - 2:30 "I wanted to get a little bit of clipping on the A to D".

There are a lot of people out there today who are unfamiliar with actual
live acoustic music. They don't actually know what instruments really sound
like. And, many of these people associate loudness with the sound of clipping
because that's how they have listened to loud music much of their life.

Correspondingly, adding clipping can give these people a sense of music
being louder than it really is.

Now, why anyone would want to do something so horrible to distribution
medium, I don't know. We live in an age with a lot of "mastering engineers"
who really don't care about the long-term prospects of their product.
At some point, all these clipped recordings are going to be perceived as
kids as sounding like the kind of records their parents listened to.