Posted to rec.audio.high-end
~misfit~[_3_] ~misfit~[_3_] is offline

Default Modern Reviewing Practices In Audio Rags Have Become Useless

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Scott wrote:
On Thursday, September 26, 2013 7:30:50 PM UTC-7, Audio_Empire wrote:

[snipped]
I think today's concert goers expect their favorite songs to sound,
in-concert, like they do on the band's recordings. Luckily, that
goal is obtainable today with modern S.R. equipment and talented
mixing personnel.

You are incorrect on that on all accounts. as a concert goer I have
no such expectations and that goal clearly is not obtainable.

I thought that too until I went to a Dire Straights concert in the early
80s. I was so amazed I listened to their records a little more and then went
to see them in concert the next three times they came to New Zealand.
Uncanny! If not for the very slight differences I'd have thought they were
lip-synching and playing unplugged guitars...

I haven't been to many concerts since the 80s. Maybe five or so in the 90s
and a couple in the 00s. None of those came close to what Dire Straights
were doing - but that was fine with me, I considered those experiences to be
abberations, not what I expected to hear in concert.
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
[Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]