Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] tubegarden@aol.com is offline

Default Teflon Film Tin Foil capacitors

Hi RATs!

Yes, we are fickle old rotters

It is a bit of a cognitive stretch to think I have been occasionally
pushing my limits forward for half a century ... it may well be it is
impossible I ever have pushed anything but money and solder ... oh,
well, it is fun playing Doktor Audio in my Audio Dungeon, heh heh ha ha
hoo hee hoo ha ha. I mean, what did I think I was hearing thru the
earpod of the crystal Heatkit radio I built in 1959? Music?

You Oz dudes got me into the screen stopper diode madness, as well.

This is for triode wired 6550, and all those fine old deviants

Somebody, sorry, I am legally brain dead, remember, so I forgot who,
sent me a tiny email that said try an SS diode from the plate to the
screen stopper resistor ... cathode to the screen end. So, I trucked on
down to the Fry's Electronics mega-big box and bought four matching
diodes. They carry hundreds of diodes, I bought the only one they had
four of on the huge rack ... 600V 6A, perhaps a bit overspec. No chance
it is more than 0.1A

Yup. Another freaking miracle of sonic enrichment.

_____

Is there no end in sight? Remember, I was in Nam ... that "light at the
end of the tunnel" was just a luminous fungus infection in the asshole
of the GI in front of me

_____

Three most common lies told in USA:

1. I gave at the office.
2. It is in the mail.
3. I won't come in your mouth.

Happy Ears!
Al

Patrick Turner wrote:

Yeah, I get these dudes saying this and that cap sounds the best, they say
they like
teflon, then they move to oilers, film this that then foilers and then
finally Auricaps
and Hovelands and Jensen et all and they don't ever keep an identical
system
with reference caps to see if the cap change was worth all the expense and
soldering.

Whener I have changed a capacitor I have heard nothing different, and
was unable to get a reliable preference made by a customer more than
random 50% chance would predict; Ie, I ask someone to identify which
channel has cap X or Y and
nobody chooses correctly better than 50% of choices.

But nevertheless, if directed, I will solder in whatever caps ppl want.

I just cannot see what the heck is so special about teflon,
except that its great in frying pans.

But Hi Al!!! you have been missing for a long time you old son of a gun!

And my mother is priceless.

The world's least said sentence:-
"Just you come over here sonny, these fancy caps are cheap."

The world's second least said sentence:-
"Jus youse lie down here luvvy, it won't costyer anyfink".

Patrick Turner.