Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default Records again

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 11:00:06 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Andrew Haley" wrote in
message
Arny Krueger wrote:

The V15 IV was introduced in 1978. It is positively
ancient. I believe that there were cartridges in those
days or slightly later whose tracking was competitive
with it. I believe that there are several modern
cartrdiges that are competitive and only modestly priced.

Really? There isn't much real technical information
available for cartridges these days, but I can't remember
seeing anything as good (distortion, frequency response)
as a V15.

http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/HFN/LP4/NewLampsForOld.html

It seems like it would be possible for any competitor to
reverse-engineer the V-15 VI - V and duplicate its
"magic sauce".

Beryllium cantilever?

If materials were all that mattered, diamond might be even better. Thing is,
engineering is about more than materials. For example, do you know about
the vibration absorber *inside* the V15's shank?

I think Shure was premature in abandoning the V-15. When I think of the
business that companies like Ortofon must be doing with their dozens of
models, I suspect that there is room in the marketplace for the V-15.