Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Records again

"Audio Empire" wrote in message

Has anyone else here noticed/experienced this? When I
listen to CDs, I usually listen to a couple, then turn
the stereo off and go do something else (like work on the
restoration of my Alfa Romeo GTV-6) . But when I listen
to vinyl, I find myself caught-up in the listening. One
record leads to another and then another. If I had a
dollar for every time I've stayed-up almost all night
listening to records, I could easily pay for that $10,000
paint job I want for my Alfa!

I have the exact opposite situation. Even though I have several compete
vinyl playback systems, one with tubed electronics, I find it difficult to
compel myself to ever listen to them. Even when I sit down and listen to a
LP, I rarely if ever can stand to listen to the whole thing.

There seems to be something compelling about listening to
records that CD can't match (at least for me). I don't
know what it is. I like digital, hell, I record digitally
and get very realistic sounding results. I have read
articles by audio writers who have expressed experiencing
this phenomenon as well, but I'm just wondering if anyone
on this forum has had similar experiences?

Three things compel me to avoid listening to vinyl. One is simply that most
of my music listening is related to recordings that I produce of live
events. Producing recordings presumes a lot of listening through the
process, and for evaluation purposes when the recording is supposedly
finished. Another problem for vinyl is that other than a sentimental
attachment to recordings that I enjoyed when I was younger, I primarily
listen to recordings that were made in the past few years. The third problem
is that I have enough of my hearing acuity remaining that the clearly
audible noise and distortion that is inherent in vinyl bothers me.

I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to enjoy music as we do today
were we still hobbled by analog recording technology.