Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

Default stopping "pop" in new set up?

On 03/11/2018 11:27 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 3/11/2018 10:11 AM, JBI wrote:
I can see what you mean about the timed strips, but I'm under the
impression the delay feature only worked during power up.Â* However, I
can see where such a delay strip would be useful.

Some power sequencers offer sequenced turn-off as well as turn-on, so
you can have your speakers turn off first. But as I mentioned, and
you've observed, it's an expensive way to avoid remembering to do things
in an orderly manner.

On the other hand, why ever turn your computer off? I have six or seven
computers here and the only one that's ever turned off, other than for
maintenance, is the laptop that's only used for travel.

I turn them off because I only use laptops for my main system. I still
have a desktop, but it's old and I have had instability issues with it
lately that I am trying to work out. So, as a result, I have two
identical laptops, one I seriously beefed up a year ago, while the
other, this one, used for Internet and other less demanding purposes. I
do video work as well, so needed something fairly robust. Now these
laptops still probably can't hold a candle to what I could go out and
buy today, but they are still better than the very old desktop.

That being said, in the days when my desktop was the main workhorse, it
stayed on for years. I learned some hard lessons though using it for
the first part of those years without any kind of UPS and power outages
destroyed a hard drive or two. Lesson learned and UPS introduced.

Also, I don't know if your speakers offer it, but several powered
speakers off an automatic standby mode that puts them in a very low
power consumption mode if they haven't seen a signal in an hour or so
and turn on automatically when they see a signal. So that might mean
that they might not turn on fast enough to catch the "pop" when you turn
your computer on or off.

No, these Eris E5's don't seem to have that.

Thanks!