Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

Default dynamic mic self noise (and my re15)

And back in the old days, when ribbon mics were most common in studios, there were indeed transformers with step-up ratioa 1:10 -- sometimes 1:20 or 1:30. They showed up in some RCA mic preamps and consoles -- sometimes driving pentode tubes as amplifiers (yeah, really). One RCA circuit used a 1620 pentode, which I believe is really a power tube, for an input tube with a high-ration transformer.

Mind you, I make no claims that these high-ratio transformers actually measured flat or sounded good. I don't know, not having heard them, but I suspect they didn't.

Peace,
Paul