Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default MOSFET output stage

Gareth Magennis wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
Gareth Magennis wrote:
"RichD" wrote

Who do MOSFET sound better than bipolar, as an audio amp output
driver?

Well this is probably an urban myth/load of ********, but years ago lots
of people were talking about power Mosfets exhibiting different distortion
characteristics than BJT's in the same way thermionic valves distort with
differening harmonics and sound nicer.

Fact or crapology?

Fact. Different transfer characteristics. Fundamental device physics.

Well in that case the OP's question is thus answered, as far as I can tell.
It sure is noisy in here.

It is indeed, with a whole bunch of nutcases spouting nonsense.

It's a fact that 'open loop' with no NFB, a mosfet output stage will indeed
distort more than a bipolar one, but the distortion characteristics are
different. Put some gain on the front and close the loop and the mosfet wins
every time (admittedly requiring more overall NFB but it can take it).

That 0.0008% THD amp I mentioned, you could not see ANY vestiges of crossover
distortion on an Audio Precision analyser output, and what you could see was
mainly 2nd harmonic.

Oh and its THD floor is 0.0007%, so doubtless the amp was rather better than the
display said.

Graham