Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Trevor Wilson[_3_] Trevor Wilson[_3_] is offline

Default More than 30W per chanel Class A transistor amps

On 5/03/2019 3:32 am, Howard Stone wrote:
On Monday, 4 March 2019 16:06:40 UTC, Peter Wieck wrote:
On Monday, March 4, 2019 at 9:59:57 AM UTC-5, Howard Stone wrote:

Aha, this is an argument for active pre-amps. Passive pre-amps presumably all have no gain.

Correct. Passive pre-amps are no more than switches.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park.

So I guess that, given that my project is about exploring Class A with my speakers, that IF I buy a pre-amp, it too needs to be Class A.

**Almost all preamps operate in Class A.

And I suppose I find out whether there are any Class A DACs, because I think their analogue end must involve some gain.

**That will depend on how any OP amps used happen to be configured. I
wouldn't lose sleep over it.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au