Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Ground Loop

Bob Simon wrote:
I had forgotten that there is a high-level connection from the amp's main (=
speaker) outs to a powered subwoofer which was plugged into a different cir=
cuit. When I used a 3-wire extension cord to plug the sub into the power s=
trip for the rest of the system, the hum went away. Now I have to figure o=
ut how to route an extension cord across the room in a way that my wife can=
tolerate. As an alternative, I wonder if an affordable power isolator exi=
sts for this type of issue. Are you aware of something suitable?

Don't break power line grounds. Break signal grounds. In the pro audio
world we use balanced connections which make this easy. With consumer gear
you will need an isolation transformer to do the same thing. The cheap
Edcor stuff will likely be fine for you.