Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Ground Loop

On 27/10/2019 22:09, Phil Allison wrote:

For the curious - it involves fitting a 25amp bridge in series with the safety ground conductor. This allow the item to float up to a volt or so above ground with NO current flow.

The bridge is wired as pairs of inverse parallel diodes and can cope with a massive fault current if need be until a fuse blows or a supply breaker trips.

My workbench scope has this scheme fitted inside, for example.

Similar items are sold as galvanic isolators for boats connected to a
shore supply. The diodes in the one I use are rated at 2000Amps for long
enough for the fuse to blow.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.