Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default Thanks everyone for your responses!

On Aug 10, 10:07 pm, (Id ita) wrote:

An SE enthusiast faced with a limited choice of drivers is no less
prone than anybody else to mistake such a limited range for "full
frequency". And the real situation is not so dire.
(We) are prone, however, to gerrymander our priorities to fit the
limitations of the gear, in order to receive a singular blessing. I've
built clean PP amps that were subjectively blameless, but always lacked
the ineffable qualities of "involvement" and "presentation" that even a
casual SE design would bring right back. The strengths in each approach
are not mutually exclusive, and can be combined in the right
implementation, but I'm still getting there.

So, the current fave 45 is suited to meet current real-world facts: my
modest SPL
requirement, a preference for small-ensemble music, an acceptable driver
on hand, and a willingness to take the narrow path through a deeper
experience than that which can be measured and quantified by pedestrian
means.

If you say so... It really reads in a perverse sort of way along the
lines of the statement: "It feels so good when I stop banging my
head".

Again, I have heard flea-powered SE systems with various sorts of
drivers that sound etherially beautiful... with very limited signal
such as solo voice, or Gregorian Chant as two examples. But not with
much else.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA