Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default MIDI problems resolved

On 21/09/2014 4:28 AM, Sean Conolly wrote:
"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
"hank alrich" wrote in message

I'm not sure that your promblems had anything to do with MIDI.
I think they arose from a praticular combo of OS and driver(s)
and app version, etc.

As //only// the app changed, you're probably right.

When Windows users complain about a lack of "intuitiveness"
in anything else, I chuckle.

Windows, unlike the Apple hardware and OS, is not a closed system. It's
not surprising some things are not easy or obvious. But at least you have
a computer that can be upgraded, and a wider selection of software.

It cuts both ways. There's a wider range of software because MS provides
well documented interfaces that the software can use, such as handling MIDI
and audio events, but the software is then tied to the performance of the OS
implementation. Good strategy for reaching a big market, but not optimised
for specific engineering requirements like low latency.

For example, I use ASIO for all my audio because it works well, and the
drivers support Win MME so other apps (media player) can use it. If I
reverse it and have the DAW use the Windows MME drivers then the performance
is predictably horrible. The cost is that I'm restricted to apps that use
ASIO, but that includes pretty much everything that is intended for serious
work.

Right, does MME go back to Win95 or Win3.0? And it hasn't been the
primary sound interface since WinXP so using it for "serious work" would
be just plain DUMB!!!

Trevor.