Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default MIDI problems resolved

On 9/20/2014 9:03 AM, William Sommerwerck wrote:
The keyboard can also be set to play through the computer, but there's a
noticeable delay (which you're warned about). The MIDI interface must
present an incredible amount of overhead.

Am I unreasonable in saying that MIDI doesn't always work the way you
think it "ought" to? This is an issue that most documentation (on any
subject) generally fails to address.

Good that you got something that works. I don't know what you consider a
"noticeable" delay, but unless you're pounding two-handed chords, the
MIDI delay shouldn't be any greater than about 10 milliseconds. However,
what you may be experiencing is the amount of time it takes the computer
to play the sample. This can be considerable on a slow computer or with
a program that isn't designed for real time playing.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com