Kevin McMurtrie

Default Ampzilla Hums! - Troubleshooting advice, please.

In article ,
"Phil Anderson" wrote:

This turns out to be a little weirder than I thought. When I
heard the hum last night, it never occurred to me it might be from
one channel only. I figured this was a ground hum, and such
things always occur in both channels, do they not? The pop came
from the left channel, that I was sure of, but nothing more.

So, I turned it on again tonight, with a listener staged by the
right channel. She heard nothing. I heard another pop from the
left channel. I moved over to that speaker, and heard only a very
slight hiss. The hum is coming from the amp itself!

I am far from expert in any of this, but I've got to admit this
worries me a lot more than did the thought I had a ground hum to
diagnose. Also, my power meter lights no longer work. I am
certain that they worked in the old apartment, all those months
ago. I do not recall if they worked last night or not. I turned
it off pretty quick and do not recall noticing.

What is my next step?

Phil

The pops could be a bad electrolytic capacitor or solder joint. As for
the hum, you probably caused that during repairs. Find the vibrating
panel and crease it, or check that the fan is mounted the right way.