Mark D. Zacharias

Default Ampzilla Hums! - Troubleshooting advice, please.

Occasionally wire routing might induce hum, but this doesn't explain the
pops. I'm thinking the amp has an actual problem, such as a intermediate
level dc offset on that left channel.

Mark Z.

"Phil Anderson" wrote in message
Between replacing a cooling fan and moving into a place that
demanded a whole lot of other work, my audio system has been MIA
for many months. Thanks to the storm, between yesterday and today
I finally found the time to track down all the pieces and wire all
the pieces (amp, preamp, tuner, turntable and CD player) together.

I turned on Ampzilla first and promptly heard what I presume was a
ground hum. I turned Ampzilla off. My first thought was to rule
out any connection to any other link in the chain as the culprit.
I disconnected the preamp (Thaedra) from the amp, unplugged
everything else, and plugged 'zilla straight into the wall, then
turned it on again. The hum returned, accompanied by a couple of
fairly loud pops from the left channel speaker.

The system worked fine in the previous apartment, but for an
annoyance with the old cooling fan. After seeking some newsgroup
advice, I found a Papst fan to replace it, but did not find the
time to try the system with the new fan in the old location.

In short, it worked, I replaced the fan, I moved, and now it hums.

At the risk of sounding like some sort of electronics school exam:
How many possible hum sources are there in the above scenario, and
what can I do to troubleshoot them and/or rule some out?

Thanks in advance,
Phil