Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default Will I fry my amp if I use a 14.8V battery instead of a 12V ?

On 06/15/2018 11:43 AM, wrote:
Hello again,
I busk with a Crate Limo TX 50D which runs of an integrated 12V, 7A lead acid battery, I want to use a lighter lithium-ion battery but its 14.8V, 8A. There are 2 power inputs on the back of the amp, a DC charger plug that takes the 15V charger to charge the battery and a 12V DC cigarette lighter adapter. I tried removing the 12V lead acid battery from the amp and plugging my 14.8V lithium-ion battery into the charger plug but it will not power the amp with the battery removed. I am tempted to plug the 14.8V battery into the 12V DC cigarette lighter adapter plug .... my question is: Will I fry my amp if I do this ?
Thanks,
Rob

I have a similar Limo, and the lead-acid battery is
probably too old now (like a decade sitting there).

I'd like to know more about the replacement you have.
Is it made to replace a lead-acid battery? I have used
lots of lithium polymer batteries as an R/C plane flyer,
and I know that those can be very dangerous, and need
a very specific tapering charge current tailored to
the cell capacity. Anything goes wrong and you have
a flaming devil on your hands (a la Galaxy note 7).

Maybe you are using something completely different.

Toby