Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising[_2_] Roy W. Rising[_2_] is offline

Default R.I.P. Dick Clark

Again, I'm sorry I pushed this thread off the rails (4-24-12). Here is
something I wish we'd noticed/known much sooner. From the N.Y. Times
obituary, 4-18-12:

"In late 1959, with the [Payola] hearings pending, ABC insisted that
Mr. Clark divest himself of all his record-related businesses, which he
did."

'nuff said?

Dick was one-of-kind. I've worked with few other Producers who shared
many of his traits. Requiring "professional performance from well-paid
employees"* might be one that led to some well-known outbursts.

Nonetheless, Dick's "Pop Music" gene was unique. What ever he did, it was
through that lens, and the proof stands on its own. Why try, now, to flame
that? Please, let this rest.

Most amazing to me was his uncanny sense of, and familiarity with, the
length of a cut's lead-in. I think he had a bar-driven musical count-down
timer in his brain. I've never heard a D.J. who could intro dozens of
records for six shows ONCE EVERY SIX WEEKS and never step on a vocal or
leave any room.

I am pleased to have been there.

Quoting the original post from Jeff Henig:

"WE'LL MISS YA', MAN."

* Let me know if you don't know what that is.

--
~ Roy
"If you notice the sound, it's wrong!"