Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Vintage speaker repair advice wanted...

~misfit~ wrote:
It seems that these really well-built drivers were previously used in
other Wharfedale cabinets, also acoustic suspension, but fitted with
doped cloth surrounds - and that quite a few of these speakers are
still going strong. It's only the rubber-surround ones that have
failed....

This does not make sense, rubber and foam are different, rubber surrounds as
used by KEF and B&W last very well, I am listening to my 1976 KEF Codas
right now.

So I'm trying to find out how to make my own doped cloth surrounds to
replace the (now cracked and broken) 0.5mm thick hardened 'rubber'.
I'm an invalid on welfare so I have time, just not much money. The
only instructions I've found on the web that come close are for making
'siliconed' cloth surrounds. However apparently no glue will stick
them to paper cones other than silicone - which is a once-only job as
the only way to remove it from paper cones (if the desired result
isn't achieved first try) destroys the cones.

Give them aftermarket foam surrounds, they are easily available in a size
that is likely to fit. Or neoprene rubber if available. Corrugated cloth
surrounds last better than anything else, but it is possible that whatever
they were made with is forbidden now. Foam has some nice acoustic properties
in terms of attenuating reflections from the membrane edge.

Loudspeaker membranes and surrounds must always be protected from direct
sunlight.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen