Roger W. Norman

Well, I have some old Romex and it has measurable 120 v AC on the metal
sheathing. Does that count? g I have to fix that one of these days, but
it's a 74 year old circuit and I really haven't seen much in terms of
problems unless you touch the ceiling fan light chain and the refrigerator
at the same time. Or the screws on the light switch box in the bathroom.
Ouch!

But I'm lazy and I know where the problem is. I just haven't fixed it yet.
Most people aren't walking around my house with no shoes and socks and going
into the bathroom, nor turning my fan lights on and off. Great as a
replacement for caffeine, though.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Chris Warner" wrote in message
How to answer this question, as I work with AC, electricans, and DC

circuits
constantly I am trying to figure out how to answer this question the best.
First electrons only displace each other and move only a very small

distance
with some situations being different(vacum tubes and spark gaps). DC the
elecrical potential is alwas postive when referenced to negative, which
means that electrons are always being pulled from a negative terminal to a
positive terminal. In AC electrons are pulled from the neutral and then
pushed towards the neutral. As an electrons move through a resistance(or
impedence) each point will drop the voltage, when the eventually reach
ground there is no more difference in potential.

Basic electroncs theory, hope I haven't missed anything. BTW if you are
reading voltage on a neutral(I saw someone mention this someplace) It

means
that someone has screwed up in a circuit someplace. Rule of thumb with AC
is to carry one of those glow sticks I call em that light up when you wave
it close to a wire containing AC voltage. I have seen a situation when a
contractor had crossed a hot and neutral in the field, which game me 277(1
phase of 480 US) on the neutral referenced to ground.

Okay long post, later all.
"apa" wrote in message
om...
I was talking to an electrician doing some work in my building and
started asking some questions about AC. My electrical knowledge is
quite limited, but in the course of the conversation, I said something
about the the flow of current reversing direction twice every 60th of
a second. He said "No, the ACTUAL current always flows in one
direction from the hot to the neutral and it's the AMOUNT of current
flowing that alternates." Isn't that the definition of modulated DC,
not AC? I couldn't make any sense of his explanation of what he meant
by "actual current", but he insisted that current flows in ONE
DIRECTION ONLY. I really don't get what he's talking about - but he's
the professional. Can someone fill me in?

---