Laurence Payne

On 17 Jun 2004 08:40:04 -0400, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Also, if you are in the UK, like Don is, everything is different. Everything.
230V on each leg, circuits that double back to the panel at the end, fuses
in the appliance plugs. Very strange. But because the line voltage is so
much higher, required currents are much lower for the same power, so power
cabling is just tiny. Whenever I go to Europe I can't get over how small
everything is. It's really lovely.

We don't go in for ring circuits so much any more. Fused plugs are a
good idea. You use an appropriate value for the appliance. Blowing
a 3 amp fuse in the plug-top may save damage to a device that would
otherwise have to wait for a 30 amp overload at the panel.

Silly things sometimes happen. I've seen a school stage lighting rig
using 13 amp fused outlets. The book said "All outlets shall be 13
amp with fused plugtops". All very fine and safe. Until a high-level
lamp blows. You're then replacing a plug fuse, up a ladder, and the
circuit may still be live. Not to mention that all hired stage
lighting comes with the old-style 15 amp unfused plugs.

CubaseFAQ
www.laurencepayne.co.uk/CubaseFAQ.htm