Scott Dorsey

touser wrote:
Is Neutral is the Center Tap of the 10:1 transformer secondary on the
power poll? 2200VAC to 220? So one side of that gives you 110 and to
wire a stove or dryer you use the whole tap? Just curious.

In this US, this is how standard 220V service works. Center tap goes
to neutral, and there are two 110V legs that are out of phase so there
is 220V between them.

There are still some houses wired for only one leg 110V service. This is
not used in new construction, however.

Also, if you are in the UK, like Don is, everything is different. Everything.
230V on each leg, circuits that double back to the panel at the end, fuses
in the appliance plugs. Very strange. But because the line voltage is so
much higher, required currents are much lower for the same power, so power
cabling is just tiny. Whenever I go to Europe I can't get over how small
everything is. It's really lovely.