Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default ATM 350 discontinued? Prodipe SB21 resilience to Larsen on stage?

wrote:
This is about clip-on mics to use on (jazz) stage with open trumped and Har=
mon muted trumpet.

To be honest, I really don't like miking trumpet bells. Yeah, the
performer doesn't need to be in front of a mike, but the sound is never
as natural as a mike at a greater distance. And with something like the
RE-20, the performer can move around an awful lot without problems even
using a stand mike.

But.... if you MUST use a mike on the bell, consider the lowly Shure SM-11.
It's cheap, it gets a bad rap on the whole, but it's actually not a bad
sounding mike for the application. Not natural, but if you were looking
for natural you likely wouldn't be miking the bell. It's a good pop sound.

At festivals, I am seeing a lot of brass players coming in with mikes from
Applied Microphone Technology. You may want to look into them. They seem
well made and they aren't any worse than anything stuck down the horn to
my mind. The mounting hardware is convenient.