Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default They don't make it like they used to ...

On 6/09/2019 11:28 pm, wrote:
John Williamson wrote: "As shown, envelope. Zoom right in to see the waveform, but we've told "

Then you and geoff need to go on all the moderated audio forums
and correct the THOUSANDS of participants who refer to that
link as a waveform.

You would need to scroll out a hell of a lot more to see what could be
meaningfully described as a waveform.

Because the point of those threads is the topic
at hand - in the case of this thread, degredation of how pop music
sounds and the causes behind it - not nitpicking, ad infinitum over
what the visual representation of a song is called.

At best (or worst) the demonstrated image shows something moderately
peak-limited. The peak limiting in that image is nothing close to what
could be described as heavy, let alone hyper, and the degree of overall
compression of individual musical elements cannot be discerned at all,
except to clearly see that it is nowhere near what is a common envelope
for today's hyper-compressed music.

I'm not saying you two are wrong, I'm just saying you are spending
too much time on terminology when your audience has already
grasped the concept.

Erroneously grasped the concept.

geoff