Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default PreSonus 1810 audio interface.

On 3/6/2019 6:22 PM, Tobiah wrote:
can't find much in the way of how flexible the software is.Â* My
present interface, an M-audio Fast Track Ultra, does all of the above,
but also has a great mixer panel.Â* It has a tab for each output, and
for each, I can mix any/all of my computer returns, or hardware inputs.
Anyone know about the mixer for this unit?

PreSonus calls their mixer application UC-Surface. There must be a video
of it somewhere on the web site. You can take a look at it he
https://www.presonus.com/products/UC-Surface

Personally I think it looks more complicated than it really is, but
PreSonus likes to pack as many features as they can into whatever they
build and leave it to you, the user, to decide what you don't want to
bother with - though I don't know that you make things disappear from
the user interface if you're not going to use them. But it does what the
mixer application for any multi-channel audio interface does - gives you
a low latency mix of your inputs and returns from the DAW software.
Typically, when tracking you'll monitor your inputs, and when
overdubbing, you'll monitor a mix of the inputs you're recording at the
time plus a mix that you create using the DAW mixer (which appears in UC
Surface as another mixer channel strip).

Geoff:
Also "mixer" - why would you want a mixer, 'cos you are unlikely to want to do anything outside of the
software application ? The 1810 has all the inputs and outputs you need.

You can work without the UC Surface mixer and just create monitor mixes
in the DAW, but all the inputs make a trip through the A/D converter,
DAW program, and D/A converter before they get to the output. This can
be more latency than is comfortable. The mix that the UC Surface
application controls is a DSP hardware-based mixer inside the interface
box that offers much less time delay between mic input and headphone or
monitor output.

Also saw a demo on Youtube at 80db mic gain and I couldn't hear any
noise.Â* Anyone use one of these yet?

Turn up your volume, or figure out what the video is really about. I
don't believe that there's really 80 dB of mic gain, but anyway that's
kind of meaningless when it's being digitized anyway. The important
specification - the one that practically nobody publishes - is the
sensitivity at full gain. This is what signal level in gives you a full
scale digital output from the A/D converter.

Bonus question:Â* Why would I pay $100 extra for the USB-C model?
I mean the protocol is the same, right?Â* Just the plug is different?

The USB-C version will work with a smart phone. I suppose it could be
handy if you're doing a live field recording and just capturing multiple
tracks, but only young people who probably only produce EDM from samples
would want to try to pretend that their phone is their audio workstation.