Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nicola B. Bernardelli Nicola B. Bernardelli is offline

Default ATM 350 discontinued? Prodipe SB21 resilience to Larsen on stage?

On 04/05/2018 04:00 AM, John Williamson wrote:
On 05/04/2018 05:15, wrote:
On March 2nd 2018 John Williamson wrote:

You seem to be posting on usenet via Google Groups. If you get a free
news server account [...]

(I found a client for this Linux Ubuntu PC, then searched for a server
but couldn't pinpoint a viable working option.)

A popular one is Eternal September [...]

Thank you!

Here I am...

(((

.... through Mozilla Thunderbird on Linux Ubuntu, and eternal-september
(it took me a while to find out that their reader80 server is the one
which allows me to actually see groups and subscribe...

As for the client... I had quickly and superficially tried out sabnzbd
after searching best usenet reader for Linux and reading some blog about
it, but it appeared to be more a binaries grabber requiring some
peculiar file format as input, so I tried trn4 and tin... but I dare say
the docs writers and interface programmers should get some guy like me
who never used their software, and see which basic informations are not
so evident.

Then I remembered that almost 15 years ago I used to access the usenet
through some GUI client, and voilĂ* Thunderbird.

)))

The little preamp/compressor, ART TUBE MP/C, has been working very fine
so far for what I need.

In a live situation, however, I'd prefer a two-pole LOW CUT with corner
at 100 Hz (which would be I think -6 dB @ 100 Hz and -12 dB/octave), as
in the few Allen & Heath mixers I've seen so far, instead of its low cut
providing -3 dB @ 70 Hz, 6dB/Octave. But I had no problem with it
either, and adding the 100 Hz one on the Allen & Heath mixer was not
indispensable.

ART support never answered, maybe my long mail reporting docs
discrepancies and suggesting modifications to them, with colors
highlighting key text, frightened them.

So I still don't know if I could connect the balanced
transformer-isolated ouput of this preamp to a mixing console with
Phantom enabled, or not.

Maybe I could prepare a modified XLR3 cable where the plug which goes
into the preamp output has pin 1 interrupted, which would interrupt the
Phantom circuit (and the ground-to-ground connection), while the audio
signal circuit uses pins 2 and 3, and see what happens.

Anyways, I'd generally pass through another piece of gear which gives me
EQ and Lexicon reverb (so the sound guy can just EQ for the specific
ambient), and its balanced output is designed to be Phantom compatible.