Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tubes
Roger Hayter Roger Hayter is offline

Default What is the most powerful audio output tube?

boB wrote:

On Thu, 08 Dec 2016 09:19:23 -0600, wrote:

What is the most powerful audio output tube, as far as RMS wattage
output?

I have gotten some powerful sound from four 6L6 tubes in push-pull
parallel. but I want more. I know it's possible to use eight 6L6 tubes,
which I believe is called " push-pull parallel - parallel", but I'm
looking into other possible tubes.

At one time, I thought the 807 tube was more powerful than the 6L6, but
after careful research, it's almost identical, but with a different
envelope (plate on the top cap).

I'm looking to get a full 500W RMS (or more) output (per channel), from
all tubes, .... With four 6L6 tubes in PPP, I can only get around 120W
RMS (per channel).

How about a high AVERAGE output wattage ?

boB

I think you are fighting a losing battle here. About 10 or 20 years ago
I wrote to the editors of the RSGB magazine complaining about "RMS
power" being used in an article they published and they refused to
publish my letter, apparently on the grounds that I was a boring pedant.
Admittedly AM does get a bit complicated when the peak RF power of an AM
transmitter is a real power (not an instaneous peak of a sinewave)
whereas it represents the peak of an audio waveform of which the power
is not determined by the level of this peak. But there is still no
such thing as RMS power.

--

Roger Hayter