Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS GregS is offline

Default Bass Blockers - Type of capacitor to use?

In article . com, wrote:
I need to install some capacitors to serve as bass blockers for door
speakers in my car.

Since my car is parked outside a lot, it seems like it may not be a
good idea to use electrolytic capacitors, but instead use something
like ceramic or mylar which don't have a paste that could dry up in the
heat.

Can anyone help me determine whether this would work? Or must
capacitors in this role be electrolytic?

They have been using electrolytics in head units for many years. The door
might get hotter, but you don't even have to put them in the door anyway.
Bass blockers are a poor substitute for active crossovers. The bass blocker
increases driving impedance causing the resonant peak of the midrange to
further increase.

greg