Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Star Quad Cable Wiring (Canare)

In article , Mike Rivers wrote:
On 2/7/2018 9:06 PM, Linda Masterson wrote:

I have two custom made Canare star quad L-4E6S that I had made up years
ago at different lengths, 1/4 "stereo" ;-) male jack to two XLR but have
noticeable hum which was unacceptable although the gain was cranked up
and no preamp gain was used.

There are many reasons why you could have hum, but star quad cable isn't
one. I haven't read the whole thread, so maybe Scott or someone already
mentioned this. Star quad cable, when used as designed, helps to reduce
pickup from electromagnetic fields.

BUT... only with balanced connections and only if properly wired.