Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Star Quad Cable Wiring (Canare)

On 8/02/2018 3:06 PM, Linda Masterson wrote:
Thanks guys, the *collective* here in this NG is awesome and the best in
the world but you all knew that and much better than calling Canare or
Markertek although I weighed their advice as well.

"The headphone output is *not* balanced."

Thank you Geoff, Phil and Scott for pointing this out. My bad.

I appreciate *everyone's* suggestions and I am wanting two line inputs
into the mixer for panning when this configuration is needed.

I have two custom made Canare star quad L-4E6S that I had made up years
ago at different lengths, 1/4 "stereo" ;-) male jack to two XLR but have
noticeable hum which was unacceptable although the gain was cranked up
and no preamp gain was used.

I went 1/4" with inferior cable for grins and will be returning, but the
hum is much less noticeable when again cranking up the gain.

Like these:

http://livewire-usa.com/sy9tq/

https://www.swee****er.com/store/detail/IPBQ2Q5

I would like to avoid the direct box suggestion at all cost if possible
and was hoping to avoid this and as Scott brought up, yes this cable is
all I have and I have a bunch of it.

I would however like to get my hands on some of this.

http://www.canare.com/ProductItemDis...oductItemID=61

Possibly many of the claimed benefits are somewhat inflated by the
marketing department, and many audible differences are often
psychologically-suggestive rather than real, "bright ringing
characteristics" and suchlike ...

Though I find Canare good - I have a bunch - I would not get fixated on
the brand (apart from having the reel that you do have !) there are many
(most ?) other cable brands that are fine. And some that aren't, usually
for physical-handling and durability issues.

ather than

geoff