dave weil

Default Denon vs Yamaha receiver

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:26:46 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

I understood what you said and what you meant. That's why I responded
the way that I did. You haven't offered any backing except to say that
the rep offered you some mini-systems. As a former Denon rep, I know
that I tailored my presentation to the sort of products that I thought
matched the venue - I *never* offered *everything* to *everyone*. That
could have certainly happened in your case as well. hell, Denon now
sells dedicated products in Sears for god's sake (same receivers,
different product numbers). Sears only gets a couple of items
themselves.

Thanks for the information and corrections.

Stansbury was a photo/hi-fi chain in Baltimore. We sold "good" audio
equipment -- Crown, Infinity, Bose (sorry about that), Shure, AR, KLH, etc.
There was no place in our store for the sort of junk the rep offered. He had
obviously not done his homework.

Apparently not.

However, note that I'm not saying that you are wrong in your statement
that that's all that Denon was offering, just that you are wrong in
assuming it, if you catch my drift. You could be correct, but I can't
find anything from that period that refers to the products that were
being imported. Denon certainly has *never* imported even *half* of
their line. A good portion stays in Japan, especially the *very* high
dollar stuff.

I'm merely speaking based on my knowledge of the Denon product mix
from the 80s on, *and* knowing the culture of the company. For a long
time during the late 80s, they shied away from lower end products, at
least in terms of their marketing push. They've *always* hung their
hat on the "higher end" market and have stayed away from the sort of
wide product mix that even Yamaha has covered.