Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

Default Static electricity killed my NT5?

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message news
In article , Tim Sprout
wrote:
I was testing my Rode NT5 for recording by tapping the capsule with my
finger
and I felt a static electricity spark when I touched the mic and now the
mic is not working. Did I just kill my NT5? It worked fine my last
recording
session. I swapped mic cords and console channels and the problem appears
to be with the NT5 itself.

Sounds like it.

I assume you were tapping the case and did not actually had the grille
removed
to touch the capsule, right?

When you make a microphone at a low price point like the NT5, and you're
trying
to get it to sound as good as possible, you start leaving off a lot of
things
that you might have at a higher price point, like protection diodes and
clamps.

It's likely not a difficult repair job, send it in. And get a humidifier,
it will not only prevent this sort of thing but also make pianos and guitars
happier.

OT:
Humidifiers don't really work well with pianos. Pianos need systems that
will humidify and de-humidify when needed, preventing extreme expansion and
contraction. (Think of the cake on the Little
Rascals....weee.....woooooo.....weee......woooooo. ....that's what a piano
goes thru with each humidity level change.

Dampp-Chasers© are the only thing that will help a piano combat changes in
humidity.
I've been installing them for 30+ years and highly recommend them over any
room humidifier.

Poly

---