Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rick Ruskin Rick Ruskin is offline

Default Static electricity killed my NT5?

On 26 Mar 2017 12:12:13 -0400, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

In article , Tim Sprout wrote:
I was testing my Rode NT5 for recording by tapping the capsule with my finger
and I felt a static electricity spark when I touched the mic and now the
mic is not working. Did I just kill my NT5? It worked fine my last recording
session. I swapped mic cords and console channels and the problem appears
to be with the NT5 itself.

Sounds like it.

I assume you were tapping the case and did not actually had the grille removed
to touch the capsule, right?

When you make a microphone at a low price point like the NT5, and you're trying
to get it to sound as good as possible, you start leaving off a lot of things
that you might have at a higher price point, like protection diodes and clamps.

It's likely not a difficult repair job, send it in. And get a humidifier,
it will not only prevent this sort of thing but also make pianos and guitars
happier.
--scott

Although it would do nothing to change a static charge from happening,
may I suggest you scratch the grille rath than tap? The mic and the
rest of the signal chain will thank you.

RR

---
http://www.avg.com