Posted to rec.audio.pro
Robert Stevens Robert Stevens is offline

Default Studer A800 pre-stabilizer roller and pinch roller problem

Hi, long shot here.

I had a problem with my A800 pre-stablizer shifting down a couple mm causing tape to get dragged down on the head and making a crinkling noise at the roller.

I took the assembly off the machine and added a brass spacer shim ring to the shaft as per the service manual instructions. This raised the stabilizer roller back up to the correct height.

When I put the assembly back in the machine, it operates very sluggishly. It used to clamp down on the tape almost instantly but now it takes a couple seconds to fully engage as well as a few seconds to fully release. The original problem has been solved but now a new one in it's place.

The question of course is how did I frig up the engage disengage speed of the 2 rollers? I did not make mechanical adjustments (intentionally) to the assembly.

Thanks,

Rob